Thursday, January 15, 2015

Understanding Early Sexual Development

I found this article to be very different. Growing up body parts were not taboo but we were not open like the article discusses. When I have children I am sure I will have a different view than my mother did when I was growing up. In the view point of a future teacher, I worry what things are supposed to said in school or not. This article was written directed for parents and I think when there is a class of 30 children, that is 30 sets of parents who all have different viewpoints than one another. Some things might be okay to say in one family however completely unacceptable in a different family. For example, I know a family that does not use anatomical names for body parts and one that does. If they both enter a classroom, how does a teacher go about respecting their views on this topic. This will an interesting topic to encounter when I have my own classroom.

1 comment:

  1. Your concern about what should be discussed in school or not is an important one. I think this will be very much determined by the culture of your school and community. As you point out, you will have quite a diversity of perspectives with the parents in your classroom. Kids will certainly give you opportunities to respond so be ready!

    ReplyDelete